Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to an Institution of Higher Education in the UK?

Applications to the vast majority of UK Institutions of Higher Education are made through a computerized national system, known as Universities and Colleges Admission Service (

In some cases, and for certain courses, applications are submitted directly to the respective institution (i.e. Foundation courses in Art and Design, Architectural Association School etc.)

In other cases, there may also be specific additional forms to be filled in (i.e. the SAQ for Cambridge, the Applicant Supplementary Form for RVC etc.).

Universities reserve the right to ask for additional work as part of their assessment of your application (i.e. sample work for Oxford, the Assessment Task for The Bartlett School of Architecture (UCL), certain number of hours of work experience (paid or voluntary) for healthcare courses etc.).


How many Universities and courses can I apply to in the UK?

A UCAS form allows you a choice of five universities and courses in a given year.

Four choices are allowed for Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine. In this case, a fifth choice is allowed in a field other than Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicine.


When do I apply?

Ideally, your UCAS application form should be submitted before 15th December of the year preceding your proposed year of entry.

However, if applying to Oxford, Cambridge, Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Science, you must submit your application before 15th October of the year preceding your year of proposed entry.


Can I apply to both Cambridge and Oxford in the same academic year?

No. As an undergraduate you cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same academic year.


What does a UCAS application contain?

Other than your personal details and University course choices (max. 5), a UCAS application contains your achieved and predicted grades, the school recommendation letter and your Personal Statement.


A Personal Statement should include your reasons for choosing a particular course, the suitability of your education and experience for the chosen course, your personal interests and career goals.


Can I write a different Personal Statement for each one of my five UCAS choices?

No. The Personal Statement is common for all of your five UCAS choices, as the assumption is that you are applying to the specific course you are most interested in. This is the reason you are discouraged from making unrelated course choices in your UCAS application.


Are there admission tests I must take in order to be eligible for consideration?

Yes. Depending on your course and institution, there may also be compulsory admission tests you must take either prior to applying or after you have applied. These tests are typically required for most courses at Oxford and Cambridge, as well as some Law courses (LNAT), all Medical courses (BMAT and/or UCAT) and some Mathematics courses (MAT, TMUA, STEP). Certain institutions also interview prospective candidates.


Are there any specific English language requirements I must fulfill?

Yes. If applying with Greek Curriculum credentials (Aplytirion with or without Pan-Hellenics), Universities typically require proof of English competency, usually in the form of a specific IELTS band grade or a TOEFL grade. The Michigan ECPE does not meet the language requirements for the vast majority of UK institutions.

Students who are presenting the IB Diploma meet the English language requirements for all UK and European Universities, provided they offer English (A or B) in their subject combination.


As a student at a UK Institution of Higher Education, am I guaranteed University-managed accommodation?

Yes, provided you apply for accommodation by the set deadline. The vast majority of UK institutions guarantee accommodation (at a fee) in this case. For any subsequent years, you would probably choose to live in shared private accommodation.


What are the tuition fees for attending a UK Institution of Higher Education?

UK Universities charge tuition fees. Different fees apply to institutions located in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.



Can I apply to both the UK and other European institutions in the same year?

Yes. The maximum of five UCAS choices only applies to Universities in the UK. You can apply to additional European Institutions, beyond the five in the UK, if you wish. Individual European institutions implement different application procedures and timelines. You are strongly advised to consult the relevant websites for details about these.